What is Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery? How does it work?
Mini gastric bypass surgery has recently gained popularity as an alternative to gastric bypass surgery. It is technically simpler and takes less time to perform than gastric bypass surgery. Obesity and metabolic surgery operations have fewer complications than traditional gastric bypass. It is an eating-restrictive as well as a malabsorption surgery.
The procedure is carried out under general anaesthesia and laparoscopically. Trocars are inserted, and after carbon dioxide insufflation, an orogastric tube from the mouth to the stomach is inserted. A long and thin gastric tract is prepared beginning 3-4 cm proximal to the pylorus. An anastomosis is formed to the stomach by measuring 200 cm of small intestine from Treitz.
Who Is Eligible for Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery?
- Under the age of 18 and over the age of 65, those between the ages of 18 and 65 can also have surgery in special cases and if the board decides.
- Those with a BMI greater than 35, • Those with a BMI of 30-35 and additional weight-related co-morbidities (hypertension, cholesterol, diabetes, sleep apnoea, heart failure, metabolic syndrome, etc.)
- Those who have tried and failed other weight-loss treatments, • Those who can handle the surgery and anaesthesia, they can have Mini Gastric Bypass surgery.
Who Isn’t a Candidate for Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery?
- Those with serious and untreated psychiatric illness,
- Those with substance or alcohol addiction,
- Patients with severe hormonal disorders,
- Patients who are unable to make the necessary changes in diet and lifestyle after surgery,
- Those with a disease that will prevent them from receiving anaesthesia,
- Cancer patients,
- Those planning a pregnancy within the next year,
They cannot have Mini Gastric Bypass surgery from Obesity and Metabolic surgery operations.
How much does Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery cost? How does the price fluctuate?
One of the most important factors influencing the cost of Obesity and Metabolic Surgery is the hospital segment. What exactly does this mean?
Hospitals, like hotels, are classified into upper, middle, and lower segments based on certain criteria. Hospitals are classified based on the clinical department, technology, equipment, materials, imaging, and laboratory types and equipment that they house. Upper segment hospitals are very few in number and have high-level facilities in terms of equipment and team. For surgical services, our Inter Bariatrics team prefers hospitals in the upper segment.
The length of stay in the hospital is the second factor influencing the price. The price range for the length of stay varies greatly according to hospital segments. Monitoring in the intensive care unit, in particular, is a significant cost factor. It is critical to understand what is included in the package price given to the patient prior to the operation.
It is sometimes critical to check whether the dietitian package includes the examination fee in the doctor’s controls in the service you will receive for the appropriate fees. Because the price that appears to be reasonable may not be so when the fees you will have to pay later are factored in.
As Inter Bariatrics Team, to our patients;
- In our Inter Bariatrics Clinic, Free preliminary meeting with our surgeons,
- consisting of doctors who are experts in the pre-operative field;
- Chest Diseases,
- Internal Medicine,
- Psychiatry, anaesthesia, and Routine examinations and preparatory examinations with the dietitian team,
- After Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery; 1 night in the intensive care unit and 2 nights in a private room with a companion
- 5 years of dietitian follow-up,
- 5 years of doctor’s check-ups, excluding the tests to be requested in your check-ups,
- Monthly scheduled obesity group support therapy meetings are included, unless otherwise stated.
Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery Prices Please fill out the form to get Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery prices 2020.
What Are the Benefits of Mini Bypass Surgery?
If we consider the benefits of mini gastric bypass surgery, which is one of the surgeries that causes malabsorption in obesity, as well as metabolic surgery, the weight loss effect is greater than that of a tube stomach.
- The recovery rate from co-morbidities is higher than the recovery rate from tube stomach.
- Although difficult and risky, it can be partially reversed.
- It results in both eating restriction and malabsorption, and it is less complicated than gastric bypass.
What are the Drawbacks of Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery?
The hospital stay has been extended.
- Because mini gastric bypass from obesity and metabolic surgery causes malabsorption, at least two vitamin and mineral supplements are required throughout life. If vitamins are not taken, severe vitamin deficiency syndrome can develop.
- Because mini gastric bypass is a more complicated and time-consuming procedure, the complication rate is higher.
- A more in-depth follow-up is required.
- Dumping syndrome is possible.
- The stomach remains in the abdomen, which cannot be seen with an endoscopy; and
- After mini gastric bypass surgery, problems such as intestinal obstruction and ulcers may occur.
Control After Mini Gastric Bypass Surgery On the tenth day of your obesity and metabolic surgery with our surgeons, you will have your first control. Then, during your first month of follow-up, if your general condition is due to surgery, if you have problems, or if you have nutrition questions, your problems are evaluated, but no blood tests are performed.